Sunday, October 19, 2014

TRUTH OR MYTH? - AMD FX WILL GIVE YOU A HUGE ELECTRIC BILL

Will AMD FX processor super size my electricity bill?

Truth or Baloney: AMD will give you a huge electric bill
Watch video below to find out the truth
AMD vs Intel - Click to watch video
Myth Busting: AMD vs Intel

Well, according to Jay's calculations, choosing an AMD FX CPU over a comparable Intel CPU will yes indeed increase your power bill,

BUT (that's a big but)

it's only about a 10 dollar difference per year and that's for heavy computer usage. So it's really not that big of a deal especially if you're not the one who pays the electric bill. Watch Jay's video for all the details and to be entertained by his over-dramatic, humorous personality.

TRUTH OR MYTH? - The following person states that an AMD 8350 jacked up his electric bill by a whopping $300 per month. Is that even possible? What do you think? Leave your comments below.

before i used the 8350 my bill was right little over $100 dollars but now my bill when using the 8350 overclocked my bill almost $400 dollars a month
Reply
 ·  



it wouldn't increase that much
Reply
 · 
27


+quatar pignolio it does. because when I put it back to stock my bill went back down 
Reply
 · 


Then you must of done something wrong with the voltages when overclocking
Reply
 · 
1


+quatar pignolio I overclocked it to 4.9ghz with a H100i and was stabled at 1.58 volts 
Reply
 · 


Hmm you probably got a bad chip because no chip should ever do that maybe like 50 bucks a month but not 300 
Reply
 · 
2


If your electric bill is $400 a month, just saying that is just high in general unless your just filthy rich and dont care.
Reply
 · 
8


im going to call bull on this 
Reply
 · 
33


+Charles Cowen you can call it whatever you want, but its true 
Reply
 · 


+PC_GameWorld
Can you scan your electric bill?
Reply
 · 
1


+PC_GameWorld no its not there is no way that a possessor could cause that kind of power usage in a month overclocked or not. I don,t even have to do the math to know that doesn't add up. I just cant stand ppl getting bad information from you comment and spreading the ignorance around from what they just read. I guess in the end i just have to call it like i see it. BS
Reply
 · 
15


+Charles Cowen BS? clearly you are the ignorant one 
Reply
 · 


+PC_GameWorld What you just said is complete BS.
Reply
 · 
7


Reply
 · 
6


+PC_GameWorld lol trolling and trolling if you continue down this path i see no way your channel will catch on in the pc and builder community while you spreading stuff like this around. But typical response from an inexperienced builder they dont like being called out on there bull so they try to put others on the defensive i just hope you will do more research and come up with an intelligent and informed comment next time you want to say something.
Reply
 · 
3


+Charles Cowen inexperienced? just because im pointing out the obvious when it comes to bs hardware? are you any better than I am? I don't see any difference in knowledge from a unknown like you I bet any amount of money I have built more computers than you can earn money. I have used both AMD and Intels CPUs and a experiment of leaving both computers on 24/7 for a whole month I can assure you that AMD eats up your electricity bill, both computers using same GPU. Please go try the experiment yourself and then come back to me instead of trying to start your drama over the internet.
Reply
 · 


+PC_GameWorld actually you do either have a faulty psu or a faulty gpu 
Reply
 · 


+Andrew crawford like I said in my last comment 
Reply
 · 


+PC_GameWorld what you state is bs even the video teaches u wrong you are the one stating things that clearly are not  true and opening yourself up for comments and ridicule.  The math teaches at a 24/7 overclock of 4.8ghz you are looking at about 94.44$ difference PER YEAR. how you arived at your obvious troll answer i will never know also better than you if you got that assumption from anything i stated just another way to try to put me on the defensive. Sorry i have facts and logic on my side not Idiotic simplistic bs.
Reply
 · 
1


+Charles Cowen a video of little tests teach you? clearly you have some sort of brain cancer, you believe everything on the internet instead of doing your own testing to see a clear difference than what you see from someone else 
Reply
 · 


+Charles Cowen you can watch someone on internet getting different performance with the same hardware you have but some how you are getting better performance than what someone posted a video about showing the results in a game. please learn first hand education and use your brain not your eyes. 
Reply
 · 


Let's do some math then to show how impossible this prospect is. For your power bill to jump by 4x, and for that to be entirely due to your overclock, one of two things or a mix therein must be true: you are using your machine up to 4x more than normal, or your machine is drawing 4x the current from the wall when overclocked.

The latter certainly isn't true, and I can demonstrate it.

My wife's system with two graphics cards and a stock AMD FX-8350 draws shy of 3A of AC current from the wall under load. Her power supply cannot support drawing 12A of current, as her power supply is only a 1000W power supply, and to draw 12A of current, you're talking about maxing out a 1500W power supply. Plus your surge suppressor would likely trip before you got to that point depending on what else is plugged into it -- for reference my surge suppressor is rated to trip at 12A. And even if your surge suppressor doesn't trip, your circuit breaker might depending on its rating and what else is in the room in question.

Which means that you're using your computer a lot more than you think, under higher loads than you think, and you're blaming it entirely on your overclock. Sorry, but not possible. There are other factors at play here you're not considering.
Reply
 · 
2


lol, complete bs.

Running I7 3960X extreme edition which uses more wattage stock than the 8350 overclocked (OC setting pending), I'm also over clocked to 4.7ghz, running dual r9 280x's. my electric bill is 68 a month. and I can scan my bill XD good try PC_GameWorld. 
Reply
 · 
1


+TheNullifiednll but in all fairness it depends where you are some places are much more expensive when it comes to wats 
Reply
 · 
1


+Andrew crawford I live in a all electric apartment so hardware like that makes a big difference in my electric bill 
Reply
 · 


+PC_GameWorld
Then it sounds like you need to talk to your landlord about getting more energy-efficient appliances switched in and getting your HVAC system inspected, if not replaced. That's what I'm going to be requesting this fall from the property management company that owns my apartment -- at the least getting the refrigerator and dishwasher swapped out as the HVAC is going to be a little more involved. And my HVAC system is half of my electric bill in the middle of the summer and winter.

As I've demonstrated above with hard numbers, it is impossible for just overclocking your CPU to cause your energy bill to jump by 4x with your usage of that computer and everything else in your apartment remaining about the same. To say so implies that overclocking your CPU alone caused your system to consume more energy than the rest of your apartment, combined.

Even if your A/C is kicking in a little more because your computer is a little warmer courtesy of the overclock, if that additional time plus the additional energy from the overclock cause your power bill to jump by 4x, you either need to adjust your thermostat and/or get a fan near your machine (do you have a ceiling fan in the room?), or you need to have your HVAC system inspected at the least, if not replaced.
Reply
 · 
2


+Andrew crawford well I can assure you too look up all the crap reviews of ohio edision and their "Estimation on Electricity" with their unfair rates but that's just me :)
Reply
 · 


+PC_GameWorld Lol, I pay my bills on time, have my 8320 at 5ghz and my electric bill hasn't changed. No way would a Overclocked AMD 8 core cause your electric bill to sky rocket like that. You wouldn't even have a PSU capable of producing such wattage, I bet it would need over a 2000 watt psu to drive your bill that high. I would look elsewhere, unless you bit coin mining with 6 R9 290's I call bull in everyway.
Reply
 · 
2


+PC_GameWorld I also fold@home when im not at my PC so my CPU is at 90 - 100% for at least 12hours a day lol. again, I would look else where for a electrical problem.
Reply
 · 


i overclocked my 8320 to 4 ghz and my bill went up from 65$ to 600$ per month,fuk you amd,fuk you!
Reply
 · 


+Branko Gambiroza You guys fail at trolling lmao
Reply
 · 


+PC_GameWorld
dude just shut the fuck up will you??? you are just full of crap and no one believes your story and a lot of people are against you even some intel fanboys....
Reply
 · 


+pearl571 that's why you don't have a PC 
Reply
 · 


+pearl571 chill out mate we are having a discussion calm down
and also whats wrong with being a fanboy?
Reply
 · 


When was the time that you oc your cpu? Remember each season the bill changes in the winter you get higher bills! Also remember you have other electronics/appliances in your home that might be wasting a lot of energy! I dont think ooc that cpu would get you 400 in bills!
Reply
 · 


+PC_GameWorld
lol
AMD FX 8350 @5 ghz
Asrock 990fx extreme 4
16 gb corsair veangence ram 1866mhz
ASUS r9 290x
xfx 750 psu
Custom water loop(cpu,future gpu)
NZXT H440
kingston 60gb ssd
2 tb seagate

Shut up and dont even comment anymore..... its just purified what you are pooping out of your brain...........
Reply
 · 


+Andrew crawford
lol nothing, but really dont you think that it is annoying when people just say anything stupid that isnt based on anyting????
Reply
 · 


+pearl571 yes but he just wants help he should be asking on a tech forum though but it is a tech Chanel so i wouldn't get to uptight 
Reply
 · 


+Andrew crawford
i guess i didnt had to reacted the way i did.... But come on a $300 increase and he blames his pc?????????? If a cpu goes through that amount of electricity it cannot survive a full hour with prime runing let alone a month
Reply
 · 


+pearl571 i know :P but you never know there could always be something my fan got broke because a bird fly through my window into my fan wich wasnt protected as the case was modified the bird got killed inside the fan and broke it before i could get the bird out of my room :P 
Reply
 · 


+Andrew crawford
dufuq is the bird ok????XD
Reply
 · 


+pearl571 no as i said it died in the fan
it was a blue tailed tit (yes its an actual bird) lol 
Reply
 · 


Use Intel then freaking intel fanboy
Reply
 · 


+Gamer Wiryo No I use MSI instead 
Reply
 · 


+PC_GameWorld What Do You Mean?
Reply
 · 


Bullshit  mister PC your talking ass
Reply
 · 


+Gamer Wiryo he isnt a intel fanboy retard just because he dosent like this one gpu dosent make him a fanboy you sir are retarded
Reply
 · 


Sorry I was talking to you Andrew crawfood  ,You are blaming your power bill on a cpu chip good luck and tell me get to 4.9 gigs
Reply
 · 


+chris doyle you mean i wasnt talking to you?
its possible for him but it has to be more than just a cpu issue as you say 
Reply
 · 


wpu systemims run hotter than the lectric system of most solar perwered desk top ,touch screen game consoles
Reply
 · 


We are waiting for your answer so we can find your house
Reply
 · 


Please more time
Reply
 · 


Man your web cam is on
Reply
 · 


Woww !!!
Reply
 · 


you got some other stuff using power bro. its not the AMD. buy a KILL-A-WATT.
unless this post is full of sarcasm.
Reply
 · 


+PC_GameWorld you are probably using a different powersuply and graphics card
Reply
 · 


+Mike Baranov thats what i was thinking 
Reply
 · 


+PC_GameWorld Faulty power supply. Mistery solved.
Reply
 · 


with average Electric rates, an extra $300 a month of Electricity usage would mean your CPU would be running at Amperage levels that would cause it to catch fire.

if it survived - it wouldn't but if it did - your CPU would be able to bake a Turkey.
Reply
 · 


that's BS, get a "kill a watt" plug it with your PC, and monitor your watts...
Reply
 · 
1


I agree ,What the fuck or watt the fuck ,this person clearly does not understand lectricity or electric powers or the power of love ,Computers can use lots of power but run your aircon on full for the same time then you got a bill
Reply
 · 


increasing by 4 times? this is like saying that the amd fx cpu overclocked in powerconsumption by 400%, bullshit
Reply
 · 
1


My Led fan uses 8000 watts per hour ,And my Sound card drains at least 4000 watts per minute ,But my electricity bill remains the same ,Its MAGIC
Reply
 · 


+chris doyle it must be that free NSA brand electricity.
and all you need to do is sign up for it with all your personal information.
;p
Reply
 · 


Sorry my 1600 watt  room heater ,reduces the efficiency,of my graphics card ,so I am not qualified to talk about this subject
Reply
 · 


+chris doyle you should never crossfire a reference 290X with a thirdparty variant!
Reply
 · 
1


Obvious troll, is obvious.
Reply
 · 
2


Troll troll troll youre boat gentle up jereme's stream,Ghost busters don't cross the streams nerd
Reply
 · 


Reply
 · 
1


I will  quote Cyndi Lauper ,on this one "I see your true colors/colours shining through ,I see your true colours and that why ,your dumb you ,I see your true colours and we would all smother you  and  don't be afraid your just a weedy little nerd
Reply
 · 


Just sing it out loud it might make you a person
Reply
 · 


Where do you live? Britain?

Mostly joking there.....
Reply
 · 


Antartica?
Reply
 · 


+chris doyle To be fair, since computer components heat with the same thermal efficiency as electric heaters, it provides massive incentive to litecoin mine during the winter in Illinois. Electricity is really cheap here around that time too.
Reply
 · 
1


oh the level of stupid hurts, even running 24/7 365 his bill would raise only about 261.24, with stock clock -.- +Matthew McKellar i have a server and 2-5 other pc's running in my place 24/7 basically, Living in IL power bills low, and my house stays around 70 when its 50 out, no heaters running
Reply
 · 
1


+Jimmy Bristow Gotta love it, right? I'm thinking of assembling a MAAS cluster server with a friend this winter. Easily the best way to justify the power draw of a pallet full of 60 Pentium 4 (or M, can't remember which) laptops. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmmm, good old Juju charm goodness.....
Reply
 · 


+Matthew McKellar haha really? I started working on my MAAS cluster this last summer, I was given roughly 22 dell optiplex 330's I have a zyxel? Gig ethernet. Switch 24 port , trust me it will heat a house lol 
Reply
 · 
1


+Jimmy Bristow Nice, that sounds like an awesome little (actually large) setup. Since those are C2D the performance must be pretty decent even with the software overhead.

Alas, all I can think of doing with my machine is the an extremely absurd Minecraft server. But this is more of a learning project than anything else.

The timing is fantastic though considering how cold my robotics teams meeting place gets in the winter. Alt-coin mining to offset heating costs is the best!!

Also, any recommendation on switch brands. Not sure if I should just nab the first thing off Craigslist or look for a specific model. 
Reply
 · 


the one i have now is a ZyXel and its doing me wonders, other then that id have to look some up.
Reply
 · 
1


+Matthew McKellar Ok you heat your house with overclocked Chips  
Reply
 · 


+chris doyle me too, unless power goes out I have gas backup
Reply
 · 


Reply
 · 




2014 Linux-Beast Magazine - Linux-Beast - Linux Cave

1 comment:

  1. FYI, I used 6x Asus STRIX RX480 8GB's to mine a couple of years ago. 2x on an FX-8350 rig, 4x on an Intel G4560 rig.

    Bill went from about $120/month to $300-320/month.

    So, yeah, PC troll is trolling.

    ReplyDelete